Photobucket
KRISSY

The Forum





The People
boon
kim
sOck
lingy!
bearbear
jojo
lyndel
yiru
chickenie
jasmine;ahma
vivian
aaron
cheryl
2h05
chang
cheryl!
genevieve
minyoo
PAU


Acknowledgements
layout: lyricaltragedy

Sunday, December 23, 2007
Local Waters - Pulau Hantu

After 8 grueling months of waiting, I'm finally able to, once again, don my wetsuit, fins, BCD and back-roll into the ocean. The Singapore Ocean.

Pulau Hantu is located right next to Pulau Bukum. Our nostrils were filled with the perpetual smell of fuel, not unlike those from a petrol station. In a distance, the ocean bustled with activities - cargo ships, incinerator, constructions, other signs of urbanization. Not exactly the most peaceful and serene setting, but still.

I wasn't expecting much, didn't get much.
Visibility was less than ideal -lesser than 1.5m even when the seabed was not disturbed. The waters are notably more hazardous, due partly to poor visibility and the intense amount of cercariae/other microorganism that stung every exposed part of the skin. I have more stings and cuts from the dives today compared to all the previous dives add up.

But I'm not complaining.

I'm loving the low visibility, because it makes you scrutinize every fine detail on the ocean bed. The thrill is exceptional when you finally do discover something - a small school of fish; a party of anemone fish (nemo!); crabs. Until today, I've never seen a crab that is not in captivity/bathed in chilli sauce or speckled with black pepper. 

I'm loving the stings and cuts, because every time they burn(especially after the application of vinegar), I'm reminded of the dives, the serenity under the sea. I'm wearing the stings like a proud medal, simply because, what is a diver without stings? ;)

4 hours of escapade, a getaway from the tonnes of work.
Gratifying. 

*Didn't take any pictures ourselves, but our fellow divers did. Check out www.chengcheng2.multiply.com for dive pictures! (:

Labels: